Reporting to the Electrical Engineering Manager, the Electrical Engineer performs calculations/analysis in accordance with both Regulatory, customer/owner vessel specifications, and organizational standards. These tasks will be performed to support all phase of design (e.g., Concept, Functional, and Production design phases).
Duties and Responsibilities
The primary consideration is always given to health, safety and environmental (HSE) issues in all activities undertaken within areas of responsibility. Responsibilities and duties will include, but are not limited to:
- Review contract specification, determine and document requirements for shipboard electrical power generation, distribution, control, communications and navigation systems.
- Write and review system/equipment specifications, perform systems/equipment and vendor evaluations.
- Prepare, revise, and/or review technical manuals, engineering operating procedures, instructions, specifications, drawings, standards and documentation for cognizant equipment and systems.
- Conduct design reviews and manage subcontract and internal engineering activities involved in the design and engineering of shipboard electrical power generation, distribution, communications and navigation systems.
- Interact with project management and project engineers in support of project requirements.
- Ability to support the Production Craft concerning electrical related issues.
The following qualifications and knowledge are necessary to successfully perform this job:
- Must have a comprehensive understanding of marine power, control, automation, communications and navigation systems
- Ability to trouble-shoot and coordinate interfacing of power systems, control systems, automation systems, communications systems and navigation systems.
- Broad based knowledge of relay logic, PLC based control systems and variable frequency drives.
- Familiarization with federal regulations (USCG), international rules (SOLAS) and classification society rules (ABS).
Education and/or Experience
The following are required for this position:
- Electrical Engineering degree is required.
- Minimum 5 years of Marine Electrical Engineering experience is required.
- Shipyard experience with new-build vessel construction, upgrades, conversations ore repairs.
- Experience with electrical automation systems based on PLC technology.
- Experience with power, control, communications and navigation type systems.
- Strong knowledge of electrical control schematic design and control configuration. Experience in electrical system design using AutoCad is a requirement.
- Computer aided drafting skills (AutoCad).
- Technical writing skills.
- Competency with Microsoft Office Tools and Software.
Job Location: Deepwater South (Amelia, LA)
Job Level: Full Time Direct
Travel Required: 10%
US Citizenship Required: Yes
Security Clearance: None Required