Reporting to the Director of Engineering, the Mechanical Engineering Manager leads and mentors the functional Mechanical Engineering group in performing calculations/analysis in accordance with Regulatory, customer/owner vessel specifications, and organizational standards. The delegation and management of design activities to the Mechanical Engineering Manager is critical to effectively and successfully managing the Conrad Engineering Department as a whole. These tasks will be performed to support all phase of design (e.g., Concept, Functional, and Production design phases).
Duties and Responsibilities
The primary consideration is always given to health, safety and environmental (HSE) issues in all activities undertaken within areas of responsibility. Responsibilities and duties will include, but are not limited to:
- Review contract specification, determine and document requirements for shipboard electrical power generation, distribution, control, communications and navigation systems.
- Write and review system/equipment specifications, perform systems/equipment and vendor evaluations.
- Prepare, revise, and/or review technical manuals, engineering operating procedures, instructions, specifications, drawings, standards and documentation for cognizant equipment and systems.
- Conduct design reviews and manage subcontract and internal engineering activities involved in the design and engineering of shipboard electrical power generation, distribution, communications and navigation systems.
- Interact with project management and project engineers in support of project requirements.
- Ability to support the Production Craft concerning electrical related issues.
The following qualifications and knowledge are necessary to successfully perform this job:
- Must be self-motivated, possess excellent communication (i.e., verbal and written) and leadership skills and possess a solution-oriented mindset.
- Must have a comprehensive understanding of marine engine/gear selection, shaft/bearing design, steering gear design, pipe sizing based on fluid mechanics, pump matching, pipe component selection, pipe support/routing design, and heating-ventilation-air conditioning (HVAC) system design.
- Ability to trouble-shoot and coordinate interfacing of marine mechanical systems.
- Broad based knowledge of piping, HVAC, insulation, machinery ventilation, sewerage systems, sea water systems, pipe sizing based on fluid mechanics, pump matching, selection and use of piping components, pipe routing and pipe support design.
- In-depth knowledge of federal regulations (USCG), international rules (SOLAS) and classification society rules (ABS).
Education and/or Experience
The following are required for this position:
- Mechanical Engineering degree is required.
- Minimum 10 years of Marine Mechanical Engineering experience is required.
- Shipyard experience with new-build vessel construction, upgrades, conversations or repairs.
- Experience in mechanical system design using AutoCad is a requirement.
- Computer aided drafting skills (AutoCad).
- Technical writing skills.
- Competency with Microsoft Office Tools and Software.
Job Location: Deepwater South (Amelia, LA)
Job Level: Full Time Direct
Travel Required: 10%
US Citizenship Required: Yes
Security Clearance: None Required